Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Embracing Cultural Embrace

Having been home for the holidays, I've gained a second wind and am ready for another adventure. I've been working with Cultural Embrace to set up the internship details that will guide my stay in Antigua, Guatemala. Starting January 18th, I will live with a host family in Antigua while simultaneously working with Cultural Embrace's HUG (Help Understand Give) initiative and fulfilling a multimedia journalism and promotions internship.


My job in Guatemala will be two-fold. I will act as a liaison between the orphanage and Cultural Embrace while concurrently documenting my experience, blogging at least once a week, and spreading the word about Cultural Embrace's altruistic initiatives to the curious, like-minded souls that I meet along the way.

Thanks to generous donations, determined volunteers, and CE founder, Emlyn Lee's passionate vision to "Discover the Similarities...Share the Differences," Cultural Embrace has been able to establish working relationships with communities in Guatemala that are desperately in need of support from the international community. While there are many places in need, I will be assigned to a make-shift orphanage in San Mateo,  a village outside of Antigua. The orphanage supports and educates 46 children who would otherwise be displaced or abandoned. If you'd like to learn more or donate to the cause, read Emlyn's blog. You can also see what Keith Ferrazzi, a New York Times best seller and fervid philanthropist, did during his service trip with Cultural Embrace by visiting his popular blog.

No comments: