Monday, October 18, 2010

¡Chi, Chi, Chi, Le, Le, Le, Los Mineros de Chile! - by Current Teacher in Chile Caroline

Chile's President and one of the Rescued Miners
What a crazy week to be in Chile! During what I've decided to call "Miner Fest 2010", all of Chile has been entranced with what's going on in the desert. Outside of the city of Copiapo (which is where I originally thought I would be living) 33 miners were stuck underground for 69 days while rescue workers drilled a super deep hole to get them out. Last week you couldn't leave the house without getting a play-by-play of the rescue process. When they finally took out the first miner last Wednesday night, the whole country went nuts. I was watching the whole thing from my room and suddenly I heard the whole block cheering, horns honking, fireworks popping, and bells ringing. I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little teary eyed... Viva Chile!

So ever since I got back from San Pedro, I haven't really taught actual classes. Instead, I have been given the role of "Theater Teacher Caroline" since I am now in charge of preparing the students for a big show that we are having this Thursday. In what has creatively been titled "The Big Show", the students will perform (in English) numbers from Aladdin, Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, and the Three Little Pigs. As much as I love yelling stage directions at a room full of hyperactive kids, I will be very happy to return to regular classes so that I am once again Miss Caroline, ruler of the classroom and maintainer of scholastic peace.

I am in the process of making plans for some upcoming travelling, and will post the final details later this week. In other news, Mateo has a new sweater this week. This little gym is covered in teddy bears that are wearing ribbons of various colors around their necks; fear not, a photo will be posted soon.

Also, I have added new photos and a video to my online photo album. You can see them by going to http://carolineenlaciudad.photoshop.com/ and clicking on the album called "More Iquique" and the video called "Gypsy Dance". Enjoy!

So, until next time, here's the philosophical question of the day:

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

Caroline
Teacher
Chile

.

No comments: