Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March Madness Starts Early...Set & Reach your Fitness Goals - by Founder Emlyn Lee

March is one of my favorite months of the year since the weather gets warmer, days are longer, flowers and tree buds start to bloom, spring break and SxSW spice up Austin, and college basketball’s March madness pumps the adrenaline (Go Terps!) With these hot March highlights along comes the shorts, tanks, and swimsuits—eergh, record scratch…gulp, b-b-bb-ikini season?!

I have to admit; with my love for food, and constant grazing on snicky snacks, I am blessed with good metabolism, and am tall in stature so I look slender and lean. However, looks may be deceiving since my once mini muffin top has suddenly grown in to a pound cake resting over my waistband. And funny enough, each year that goes by, whatever touches my lips seem to find their way much faster to my hips (except I’m not laughing anymore).

I love to work out and am disciplined enough to do some form of physical exercise at least an hour a day, 5-6 days a week (c'mon I gotta burn some of the excess calories I intake daily and it relieves my stress and clears my brain). But my issues lie within my portion control (girlfriend can eeaaaat), and my carefree spirit to inhale anything and everything in sight. Carpe Diem, right?! Yea, seize the day and now those processed and preservative foods have conquered my stomach!

Each of us has our own definition of being 'healthy' and getting in to 'shape.' We all have different strengths, weaknesses, and interpretations of our bodies. In order to improve our self image, we need to start from within. Setting goals to lose weight, stating that we’re going to eat healthier, and signing up with a gym are easy to do, but not enough until we actually follow through and stick to our goals.

Thus, I invite you to join me on Cultural Embrace’s new fitness and health team via SparkPeople’s site (click here to join).  It is a free on-line fitness and health tracker that also has downloadable mobile apps. We have created this team to help support, motivate, and hold each other accountable to set, meet, and accomplish our goals. We are not going to judge you or expect everyone to have the same fitness or health level. But I encourage you to set a target that is obtainable yet pushes you beyond your comfort level so you can challenge your mind and body. Think of this as going on an international trip where you have to open your horizons and embrace the cultures. This will be the best adventure ever; one that no plane, train, or automobile can reach…just yourself…on your own personal journey. Carpe Diem!

*Please note the photo above is pulled from a Google search, and is not (unfortunately) an image from the blogger; nor is it realistically within her "obtainable" goals to achieve this month. Maybe May. :)

No comments: