Monday, April 25, 2011

April's A-Ha! Travel Moments ~ Jennifer Campbell


Although I had A-Ha! moments coming out of my ears the first time I traveled abroad alone, there’s one in particular that keeps me motivated to go after even my “wildest” dreams.

I’ll preface: Remember the spin-the-globe-to-see-where-you’re-going-to-live-when-you-grow-up game from when you were a kid? Well, that’s how I discovered Tasmania. It seemed so exotic and fantastical and I can remember scheming my future escapades in my tree fort later that afternoon. I held on to the dream
of one day experiencing Tasmania for years but considered it a near-impossible mission that only wealthy world travelers, enamored drifters who could afford a one-way plane ticket or Looney Tunes cartoon artists were able to experience. But, as it turns out, I was wrong.

My A-Ha! moment came last year as I stood in Wine Glass Bay, Tasmania staring out from the white, powder sand beach into the crystal clear blue and green water. I did it. I’d sorted out a work and travel Australia visa and a plane ticket, saved enough from my paychecks working in Sydney to afford the trek to Tasmania and convinced two friends to come with me and live in a (tiny) hired car and exist on canned beans for nearly the entire trip to make our travel funds last. My mind started rolling… if I could make this thing happen, man, I could do anything. Traveling the world and submersing myself in foreign cultures and lands didn’t seem so far-fetched anymore… it was absolutely achievable.

That awesome moment led me to unearth a majestic gratitude for life and all of its opportunities and  permanently disabled the part of my brain that filters seemingly ridiculous ideas and dreams. …Anything is possible. Just, make it happen.


Jennifer Campbell
Cultural Embrace Work & Travel Australia 2009/2010

No comments: