Monday, April 11, 2011

April's A-Ha! Travel Moments ~ Jerzy W. in Guatemala

I have been living in Guatemala for 3 months now and have observed a great many things. Some differences are quite obvious and others more subtle. It has been interesting to try and get deep enough into the culture that I am able to actually see things from their perspective. I can’t say I’m there yet, but I can say that I’ve realized some of the initial thoughts I have are pretty hasty. The cultural differences only seem so strange because I am living in a foreign land with the same set of eyes from my homeland.

I noticed right away that coffee is far more popular than in the US. Nearly everyone drinks coffee everyday and it is not unusual to drink it at every meal. I’m not a coffee drinker myself but have found myself drinking a little here simply because it’s in constant supply. At dinner the question asked is “¿Quieres café?” not “¿Qué deseas beber?” It is as if it is assumed that coffee is standard with each meal. I have observed this in far more places than just my host family and have been told it is common here.

The other day I finally made a comment to one of the teenage daughters in my host family because she had just served coffee with sugar to a six year old per the child’s request. Yes, even children of six years of age here are drinking coffee. I told her that it was crazy in the US for someone of that age to drink coffee. I have been astonished by this since I noticed this phenomenon while living with various host families. The teenage daughter responded with the simple question of “¿Por qué?” I opened my mouth to explain as my brain quickly generated the response…except nothing came out of my mouth. It suddenly occurred to me that my explanation was not sound. I was about to respond that giving caffeine and to a kid of that age is not a good idea. But before I released that thought from my mouth I processed the other side of the equation. What do we give our kids to drink in the US? I didn’t like the answer I gave myself but it was the reality. I know PLENTY of elementary school age kids whose parents allow them to consume soda and candy on a regular basis.

Suddenly my case was lost, before I even spoke. It was this moment when I realized the differences are only odd to me because they are just that…differences. Different doesn’t mean weird; it just means you are not accustomed to it. This was my revelation of the month. It is unfair to evaluate what you observe in a culture or society from the standpoint of a different culture. I will be away from my culture for several more months and I am very curious to see what I find strange back home once I return.

Jerzy Wasilewski
Cultural Embrace Participant
Teach in Guatemala 2011

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I just posted a comment on your blog, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to respond so I'm sending this comment that is set up for you to be able to respond.

Thanks,
Angie