Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day in Nairobi - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa

Hello everyone!
I am at an internet cafe again, so don't expect much...

Today two other volunteers - Stella and Vicki- and I came to Nairobi with a staff member from the orphanage- Erick. His family runs a center for children with cerebal pasley. It was great! Erick's family served us tea, and bread with butter! I haven't had butter since I left the states. We visited a family in the slums of Nairobi (mom, I promise it was safe!) who have TWO kids with CP. After that we went to the center where they offer therapy and other services to these family. They work with about 185 kids and work with budget of about $4500/ year!!!

We are on our way back to WWB. I missed the kids a bit today. I think I am starting to get attached. One of the girls, Amenia, gave me a hand written note on Friday evening. She said she was happy i was there, grateful for my time and God for sending me. At the end of the note she wrote - "Love God" It made my heart so happy! I know in my heart that it was another way God was communicating with me. I am in the right place right now and need to just focus on not only giving love, but learning to accept love.

All for now!
BTW - this time on the computer costs 25 schilings. I think it is like 50 cents

I love all of you, and bless you for supporting my trip.

TracyNAfrica

2 comments:

Cody Kanz said...

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the updates. I really like this post because it put me in touch with your emotions. I love hearing about your growing attachment and the part about receiving love. That is HUGH! I will adjust my prayer notes on you to reflect your current experiences. Very cool stuff.

Here is a song to facilitate meditation on God's love for the Kenyans...AND YOU, you big white baby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoC1ec-lYps

Love God,
Cody

Heather said...

Sally~
I am so proud of you and what you are doing in Africa. You are truly my inspiration! I am simply honored to be your friend. I always knew you would do great things, and here you are.

Please keep up with the updates as often as you can. Its my morning read over coffee and gives me hope that there still are amazing people in this crazy world. When baby Wegmann comes, I look forward to you telling him/her about all your wonderful journey's.

Give all those kiddies big hugs from me! They need it :) Take care of yourself and keep doing what you're doing.

I love you so much!
Heather (HK)