Monday, April 26, 2010

A little about me - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

I grew up in Centralia, Washington and after graduating high school and going to two years of college, I joined the Air Force. While serving I was stationed in Mountain Home, Idaho, and Keflavik, Iceland. Upon getting out of the military, I moved to Austin, Texas and am going to school at Texas State University- San Marcos. Currently, I am an International Business Senior and will be graduating December, 2010.

Last summer I had the opportunity to go on two study abroad programs through my university. One to Florence, Italy and the Rennes and Paris, France. This was an amazing experience, and since I have been back I have been looking for another reason to go abroad. This chance came about when I was looking for an internship abroad. I will be going to China this summer to take part in two programs that Cultural Embrace set up for me. Along with that. I am fulfilling an internship with them in Marketing. If you are interested in going abroad, I highly recommend going through Cultural Embrace. They have programs all around the world, and take care of most of the leg work for you.

The mission statement of Cultural Embrace is “discover the similarities, share the differences.” This hits pretty close to home for me because, as anyone that has traveled can tell you, the world is a diverse place. With that being said, we can all find commonalities within each other as human beings. When I was in Italy last summer, I had a great time with people that I couldn’t really speak to. They didn’t know English, and my Italian is pretty bad, yet we found common ground and made it work.

To me, traveling is everything, it’s what I’m good at. My life motto is, “the world is my oyster, shuck it!” Meaning, grab life by the horns and make it happen. So, if you are slightly interested in seeing the world, check out Cultural Embrace online at www.culturalembrace.com and see what they have to offer.

-Chris Schave
CE Adviser Abroad in China

No comments: