Friday, April 9, 2010

First Week - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa

Goodness this has been an interesting week. I am at an internet cafe in Thika. Thika is about 45 minutes from Makuyu,where the orphanage is. To get here we walked about 20 minutes to the bus stop to jump on a Matutu. The Matutu bus ride took about 45 minutes. I think we are the only white people in the area. Everyone stares at us as we walk by and kids come up wanting to touch our hands. I imagine it is the same experience as a movie star. The reason the kids are so interested in touching us is because they think we are grown babies. All people are born white, even Kenyans. So the kids think we are big white babies. I hope I am making sense. I don't have much time and my thoughts are racing in every direction.

Overall I have had a great time. There was a bit of adjustment time, but things seem to be getting easier. There are 6 other volunteers from all over. Two from San Diego, one from South Korea, one from Germany,one from Canada, and one from England.

The kids are great. They all have thier head shaved b/c of school. So it was hard to tell boys from girls. There are 34 in total, and I have started to get to know a handful of them. I have so many stories and thoughts in my head and so little time!

There have been some frustrating moments. For example, some of the kids have been sick this week and at first it seemed as if the staff wasn't doing anything to take care of them. That was not the case. They just handle things differently than I would. Also, there communication is different. I think because there are so many kids (34 in total), staff (8), and volunteers (7) they have time to make sure everyone knows what is going on.

I have also struggled to stay in the present. When I left I came with the desire to just serve and love others. That is still the case, but I started to feel like I needed to make a difference and change their lives forever. The more I accept how things are at that very moment and remind myself I don't have to make this huge impact. All I have to do is love.

I have been reading my bible, and landed on James today. The entire chapter speaks to what I am going through, and how God wants me to handle these things. If you have time read it. The chapter is not that long.

I have to go now. Hopefully the next time I blog I will be able to make sense.
Love to all!!!

No comments: