Thursday, April 22, 2010

Holy Cow! - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa

I might be buying a cow for the orphanage!

The kids get three good meals a day, but only get milk once a week. A local nurse strongly recommended they drink at least one glass of milk per day. Solving this problem is not as easy as one would think. The orphanage doesn't currently have the funds to provide milk each day for all 34 kids. Even if they did have the $$, they don't have a refrigerator big enough to keep the milk from spoiling. In addition, the electricity can be unreliable. They have it, but there are many days when it is off for hours at a time.

So I started discussing with Zach, the orphanage manager, ways I can help resolve the problem. I told him investing in the children's future is important to me, and I feel a glass of milk a day is necessary for the kids to grow strong and healthy.

Zach just came to me and said it would be best to buy a cow. He said buying a cow is not only a long term resolution, but better for the kids. If they have their own cow, they can ensure the milk will be safe to drink. So tomorrow we are going to look at cows. The requirement is that the cow will produce at least 10 liters a day.

I will keep you posted on how the purchase is coming along. In the meantime start thinking of names for the cow!

Love to all!
Tracy

1 comment:

Cody Kanz said...

Still praying for you, sis.

As names go, how about Mookie?

We miss you here, but are so glad you have had so much time with your new friends and family there.

Jambo,
Cody