Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Great Walls of China!!! - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

Captain’s log, 22nd of June, 2010

We got back into Yangshou yesterday afternoon and it was good to be back in a familiar place. That is one thing that I like to have when I travel, just a place that slightly feels like home. After getting the group settled in at Monkey Jane’s, I went back to the school to drop my bags off. I was also the owner of a new Monkey Jane’s T-shirt, which I got for referring people. It actually got ruined today, but that’s a whole other story.

After dropping my stuff off, I went back to the hostel to pick up the group. We went to Lucy’s, as usual. It was amazing, as usual. I had the crispy duck and sweet and sour pork, as usual.

This morning I had to wake up early and go rock climbing. Not a bad thing, but I had stayed up late and watched football the night before. It was good for the first few climbs, but then I fell and the harness caught me pretty roughly. My stomach became upset and I came down off the wall. Then, I ran off into the bushes and puked. A little embarrassing, but it happens. The Chinese love to drink and though it can be great, at time it can be too much. After climbing I went back to the dorm and had to figure out how the shower worked. I finally figured it out and cleaned up!

I went to Monkey Jane’s and picked up my buddies. Hollie and James cancelled on us to go to Guangcheng, which was a bit disappointing. Lee and Vicky came with me and it had been pretty crazy thus far. Right now we’re headed back to the village. We had dinner with some local politicians. It was another rice wine fest. Good Lord! That is all I have to say. We saw a few temples that I had already seen. Then we went to dinner and had a full cup of bijou the whole time.  It was very rough, but Lee hung in there and drank a whole lot. I swapped to beer, or pijou . After a wonderful dinner, we went out on the town. I had a pretty good interview with a local TV station. I am a star in China!

Tomorrow is a festival here where they celebrate the birthday of a great warrior. We will go in the  morning to the town and watch whatever it is to watch, but we are the guests of honors, so that is awesome! They even offered to let me carry the statue of the warrior, but I didn’t feel that would be appropriate. Awesome trip! China is Amazing!!!

No comments: