Sunday, July 4, 2010

Chengdu Baby! - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser Abroad in China

I woke up this morning in Chengdu. I must say I like this city quite a bit. Besides all the Chinese people, it has a very European feel. It kind of reminds me of parts of Paris. Maybe that is the part of the charm.

I had breakfast with Isabella and had the chance to meet her son, who is adorable. Halfway through breakfast Georgina showed up and joined us. She has been in Chengdu for a week and offered to show me around a bit. We went to an electronics mega center. It was pretty amazing and I think I will buy two new lenses tomorrow. I was going to wait and buy them when I get back, but the deals are really good, and from the research I have done, they are legit. I wouldn’t buy a camera here though. The advice that I got was check the serial number and weigh them to make sure it is the same as advertised. The people that I have talked with say that the place just gets them cheaper than the US. The deals aren’t so good that it is unbelievable though.

After checking that out, we went to a pub and I got my first Guinness in a month and a half. Delicious!

Later we came back to the hostel, which is pretty awesome, and I got some noodles. We waited around for the rest of the group and I ended up meeting an American girl that hung out with us. She has been teaching for a year in South Korea. We all had dinner together and then went out for some drinks. It seems that we have a good group; four English boys, an English girl, a Swedish girl, an Israeli girl, and me. I think there is another girl from China, maybe, and another person that will arrive tomorrow.

This should be a good week hanging out with pandas!

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

Cultural Embrace @ www.culturalembrace.com

www.flickr.com/photos/cschave

Boring 4th of July though…

No comments: