Friday, July 2, 2010

Stalker - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

I now have a Chinese stalker… She is the one that dropped her children here last week. She wants me to speak English to her, but she doesn’t speak one word of it, so she just repeats everything I say.  Well, she tries to, but it’s pretty rough. She then continues to speak to me in Chinese as I shrug my shoulders and say I don’t know. Beyond this, she doesn’t understand the Chinese I do know. I told her that I was going to my room, and she repeated that. Then, I walked away. A few minutes after getting to my room, I turned and saw her very creepily peeking through the whole in the window screen.

Good for her for trying to learn English, but I was playing with the kids and she just wanted me to talk to her. In better news, I taught more kids how to throw the football.

Tonight is my last night here at the orphanage, and though it has been a great experience, I’m ready to head off to my next adventure. Tomorrow, I will leave bright and early and take a three hour bus ride to Changsha, then catch a plane to Chengdu. I found out today that Isabella, the coordinator from Yangshou, will be arriving at the airport the same time as me tomorrow, so it will be good to see her again.

To reflect on my experience here, it has been really pretty amazing. The language barrier was an issue. I could have taught them a lot more stuff as far as games are concerned. All in all though, I had fun and I think I made their week a lot better than it would have been. Well, except the kid that I kept stuffing in basketball. I think he was getting frustrated, but that is what he gets for having a Steve Perry haircut!

Today, I mostly applied to various jobs on the west coast.

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

Cultural Embrace @ www.culturalembrace.com

www.flickr.com/photos/cschave

No comments: