Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Teacher's Got to Puke! - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

The rest of Saturday went well. We all went to Jusco for dinner, as we often do.  After dinner we headed downtown to a place called Little Bar, or so I thought was the real name. It is actually called Bar 11, but it is incredibly little. We met some interesting people there.

First, a guy named Matt and a girl named Spring. Apparently, they both go high school here. They are not related, but do go to the same school. Matt is 16 and Spring is 17, and they drink and smoke cigarettes. Matt lives with his dad, who irresponsibly does not care that his son is out until 3 in the morning at clubs. Spring’s situation is a little different, but her parent’s sound just as awesome (sarcasm). She is one of 8 kids, I think. Since she was born, they have been traveling. They sound almost like some modern day gypsies, Although, I have seen modern day gypsies, and she appears to be less filthy, and didn’t appear to be stealing from anyone.

Another guy there was an Irishman. His talent? Getting naked very fast. Now, I wasn’t there for this, but he did perform this for Kristin, and let’s just say she wasn’t impressed…

After going to Little Bar, which I will call it from here on out, we headed to a place called Bar No. 88. It was a very eclectic experience. First, there were creepy older men who looked like they were from the Middle East, but I think they were actually from Singapore. Next were the Russians. Some were nice, but a good majority were stuck in the 80’s. One girl looked like she raided the wardrobe room on the set of Blossom.

We didn’t spend too much time there considering the girls feeling very uncomfortable with the previously mentioned guys. We hopped in a cab and headed back home.

Sunday was good. We didn’t do a whole lot. I worked on my paper, and I’m almost finished with the whole thing. I did make it to the beach for a bit. Got a bit of a burn, but I am just calling it a base tan for what is sure to be an amazing bronze glow. Sunday really wasn’t too exciting. Something strange that happened was seeing a naked boy at the beach. I’m not sure what this kid’s mom was thinking, but he must have been about five or six. I’m not sure what the cut off is for kids being allowed be naked in public places, but I’d put it somewhere around the age of three. It made me very uncomfortable, but then again this is China. People do stupid stuff all the time.

Yesterday was good. Classes went very well and all the kids seemed to learn a good amount. After class, I had a discussion group about sports. We talked about soccer a lot, and then moved on to other sports that I have played. I’m not sure if I have mentioned this little boy before, but I could have swore he was a little girl. I was washing my hands in the bathroom and he walked in. I said, “Oh this is the boys bathroom.” To which he responded, “I think you are mistaken, I am a boy.” He must get it a lot, and I’ll tell you why. First, he has longer hair, maybe shoulder length and puts it up in a sort of half ponytail. Second, and most girly, the diamond studded broach in his hair. It’s like a barrette with these fake diamonds. He also wears unisex looking clothes, and a girly gold necklace. My bad…

So this little boy/girl asks me what the most dangerous sport in the US is. It took me a second, but then I replied, “Bull riding.” If anyone disagrees with this, I am willing to have a very long debate about it!

I woke up today and had an apple while I was waiting for the shower to warm up. About 45 minutes later I threw up the said apple. When I got to school, I still felt kind of sick, but I taught my class. Around the end of the period, I walked politely into the bathroom, and vomited again. For the next period, I opted to watch a movie. The kids seemed to be very happy about my misfortune. I’m now at home and still feeling crappy. I guess it is something that I should have washed off the apple that is making me sick. Oh well, my bad. The K/Catherine’s are covering the afternoon for me.

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

Cultural Embrace @ www.culturalembrace.com

www.flickr.com/photos/cschave

No comments: