Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Teach and Beach! - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

I am on my third day teaching now and I have been busy with creating lesson plans and well, teaching. I would say that I am an average teacher. The way my day is set up is with a homeroom class from 8:30 to 10:20, then a picture dictionary class from 10:30-11:20, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. After that class I have a two-hour break. At 1:30 I have an oral English class, then another one again at 2:30. Usually, at night, there are activities that we can do with the kids. I haven’t had time to join in. Yesterday, we took all 200 kids to a field and had a little competition. The events were a three-legged race, wheelbarrow race, balloon toss, and a relay. I am pretty sure that we won the overall. We got 1st in the wheelbarrow and relay. My kids may have bent to rules a bit, and I did support their decision. For the relay, they had to balance a balloon on a badminton racket, run to other side, and hand it off. My kids pushed the tied part into one of the crosses of the racket’s string. I told them not to win by too much because it would draw attention. Well, they didn’t listen and they got flashy. Our team killed the relay! I know almost all of my homeroom kids’ names, and they are all very well behaved. I am pretty lucky to have them. In one of my afternoon classes, there are two younger girls from Korea. They are adorable and their English is very good. I’d say they are about 7 years old. One of the Catherine’s has a kid in her class that wanted to be called KOG. He told her that it stood for King of Guns!!! She gave him another English name, Chris. She said that he is a troublemaker, like me. Everything here is going really well though. It’s very tiring teaching all day, and my previous thoughts that I could never be a teacher for a career are being confirmed. I am getting paid a fair amount more than I thought I would for teaching, so that is awesome! Today, we stayed an hour extra to have “conversations” with the kids. We got to choose our topics, so I just chose sports. Probably not the best subject for me since they all love basketball, and next to baseball, I know the least about it. I’m just glad they didn’t like baseball. I’m not a fan at all, unless it involves going to an actually game, but even then I find it to be incredibly boring. After attempting to name all the teams in the NBA, I told them about my history of hurting myself. I showed them the big scar on my shoulder from when I had surgery and they were all very impressed. This weekend we are going back to KTV (karaoke) with the Russians, so that should be fun. I think we’re also trying to go to a zoo near Yantai. Alright, time for dinner. Oh, more pictures to come!

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

Cultural Embrace @ www.culturalembrace.com

www.flickr.com/photos/cschave

No comments: