Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sand Everywhere! - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

Teaching is still going great. Yesterday went by a little slow. For the last two classes I taught them about volleyball.  After classes we went down to the beach with the kids. I was in charge of soccer. We set up a small pitch and selected teams. The rules were that if you let a goal go in, your team goes off a new team goes on. The kids all had a great time.

I will say that teaching is getting easier for me. My goal is to make sure the kids enjoy learning. I have been playing various games with them, and they seem to enjoy that much more than repeating after me. We to get books that we can teach out of, but it seems to really bore the kids. From time to time we have to refer to it, but I’m pretty sure as long as they are learning, no one cares how I teach.

Last night (Friday), we went to a pizza buffet with the other teachers. It was really fun. After dinner we came back to the dorms and got ready for karaoke!

It was pretty ridiculous. We had a couple of students with us and one of them is name Poppy. Let’s just say that he really likes singing girl songs… I took a bathroom break and ended up talking to a Chinese guy in the hall. He didn’t speak English and I still don’t speak Chinese. The gist of the conversation was for me to go into the room with his friends and hanging out for a bit. I san James Blunt. It was terribly awesome! They were pretty happy to have me there.

I also got some good pictures, so I will have to post those the flickr. After karaoke, we went to the beach and met the Russians. It was pretty relaxing and after being there for a bit I went home.

Today, Sean and I went downtown to check it out. It was fun, but we really got nothing accomplished. After, we went to the beach and kicked the ball around. Catherine got her tan on and we had a pretty good time. Tonight we will go out with the Russians and some other Americans. Not a whole lot else going on…

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

Cultural Embrace @ www.culturalembrace.com

www.flickr.com/photos/cschave

No comments: