Saturday, March 27, 2010

Más! más! más!



This week we raised 800Q ($100) selling jewelry, which is a lot by Guatemalan standards.  It's not always that profitable, but we can usually count on $50 a week selling jewelry during break at the language school (10-10:30 am).  

The extra income helps to offset the costs of school materials as the kids go through notebook after notebook of tarea.  I am reluctant to leave the modest little business without a selling successor, but feel good that a few of the kids have really taken to the art (craft?) and at the very least can have fun with it.  



I left some Joyas stands in a few gringrofied cafés so that they could sell on their own.   I am hoping the jewelry stands will earn a few extra dollars a month or at the very least spread the word about the orphanage. 


The baby bracelet on the top right hasn't sold yet. My team of jewelry makers have a different concept of what fits. 

The little sombreros at the bottom are made out of Avacado seeds.  One of the older kids, Carlos, carves them during craft hour. Que talento!


más!

más!

más!


Picture me in that chair and you have an idea of what my mornings look like. 

No comments: