Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sigh of relief - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa

Yesterday I started to pack for my trip. It was another moment of high anxiety. I couldn't fit the items for the kids (clothes, toys, shoes, and sanitary napkins) into the allowed luggage. I emailed the director of the orphanage to find out if shipping was an option. He didn't recommend shipping b/c it is not reliable, and you have to pay additional to get it through customs. In addition, things tend to get confiscated. He suggested I buy the items over there as I will get more for my money. BRILLIANT! The plan is still to take some items with me but buy more once I am over there.


Also, I found out that b/c I am flying on a humanitarian ticket I can check 3 bags instead of two.

I still have to re-pack and organize, but all in all it has been a good day!

No comments: