Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Final Leg... - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

This is my work journal that I have been keeping

8-2

I’m trying to think back to when I was the same age as these kids. Were Mondays always boring and tiring? Is it me that is boring and tiring? I hope not. So as this may imply, the kids just weren’t into it today. Honestly, it is much harder for me to be exciting when the kids don’t seem to be excitable.

Over the weekend we went to Dalian. It was a great time with the exception of a bout with sea sickness that I lost pretty badly on the way there. Last night, we got back pretty late, and I was a little tired this morning, but a stout cup of Joe woke me up pretty well.

This afternoon, we had a western food festival for the children. They made potato salad, fruit salad, cookies, and a few other western dishes. Unfortunately, I just got to monitor. The cookies smelled great, and I haven’t had good cookies since leaving my parent’s house two and a half months ago. I normally don’t even like cookies, or sweet food for that matter. I hope I don’t get fat when I get home from gorging myself with all the foods that I miss.

8-3

The kids in class were in for a treat today, or so I thought. Last night I had come up with what I thought was a great lesson plan. This morning I taught my class about the 7 natural wonders of the world. I even came up with a list of vocabulary and everything. Well, it turned out that they thought it was a little boring. I would say that I had the attention of two of them consistently throughout the class.

Here I am trying to be creative and help them enjoy class a little more, and they straight up said they were bored. It’s all good though. I’ll just come up with something more exciting for tomorrow.

We also found out today that our student evaluations come out tomorrow. I am not worried about mine, but I don’t think that one of the Canadian ladies will do that well. Her students complain to the younger teachers that all she talks about is women’s curling and herself.

Today marks two weeks until I fly home. I’m excited to get back. Though this program is only a month, I have been here for two and a half months, and I am ready to get back. Everyday I have a very slight stomach ache and I know it is from the food, and probably digesting a little bit of the tap water each day. All in all, today was a good day.

8-4

I had a great day up until the afternoon. I called my father over Skype during my lunch and found out that my older cousin had passed away during the morning. This made me pretty upset so when I went back to school we just watched movies.

After classes, we had to have conversation period. It actually got my mind off of the depressing news. I really don’t feeling like doing much now…

8-5

I feel a lot better today. I’m still not happy, but better. My homeroom was okay today. They just didn’t feel like learning. Since I’m not an experienced teacher, I don’t know how to approach this situation. I think I had them getting more excited toward the end of class though.

For the afternoon periods, I tried to teach them about the solar system. The first class didn’t care at all. The second class seemed to like it, so I taught them more about the planets. I like when lesson plans work well, but when they don’t it’s frustrating.

After classes, there was a speech contest. The contestant from my class was great and he got first! I was very happy for him. The other judging however, was horrible. Second and third did not deserve any awards… Not to be mean, but they were really not good at all!

In my personal life this week, not a whole lot has happened. I am making more and more plans for when I get back to the states. I am planning out my eating schedule for the first few days when I get home.

I have made arrangements for my final few days in China. I will be flying to Beijing next Saturday morning. This wasn’t the original plan, but the soft beds on the train were sold out. Can’t say that I am too sad about not taking a 14 hour train.

In Beijing, I will be staying near the Forbidden City and Tian Na Men Square. It should be a good weekend. I’m hoping to see the Great Wall, Summer Palace, and the Forbidden City.

Next Monday, I will fly back to Yantai at 10:55 PM, then wake up the next morning and fly back to Beijing at 11 AM. Air China would not let me just fly out of Beijing, so now I have to make two additional flight. Weak sauce!

Tuesday I will fly back to Portland!

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

Cultural Embrace @ www.culturalembrace.com

www.flickr.com/photos/cschave

No comments: