Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Final Week - by Chris Schave

This last week has been good with the kids. My extended family has had a rough couple of weeks though. My cousin Micah passed away last week. I haven’t spoken to him in years, but I will still miss him. He was a great, kind person, and my heart goes out to the rest of family and his friends.

On Saturday, my other cousin’s husband went for a bike ride at 8 AM. He never returned. After 4 days, he walked out of the woods and found a ride home. I’m not sure the details, but I’m glad that he is back with his family.

For me, the week here has been good. The kids are ready to finish school and start a four week vacation before their actual school year starts. It’s hard to keep them focused. We had an English play contest last night at school, and my class got the most creative award.

After the plays, we went to the beach and got dinner. We ordered 4 plates of shellfish, and it was awesome! It got kind of cold, so we went back to our rooms and watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

I think I will miss going to the beach. It’s so close here.

Today went well. I let my students have a paper airplane contest for the last five minutes of class. It got a little out of control when they started throwing them out of the window.

After school, I had to sit on a panel to decide who would be the MC of the graduation on Friday. It was tough when we had to tell one of them she didn’t make it. I felt like I was firing people on the Apprentice. Your FIRED!

Tonight, I have to go watch a movie with the kids.

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

Cultural Embrace @ www.culturalembrace.com

www.flickr.com/photos/cschave

No comments: