Friday, August 13, 2010

Flashback: Jennifer in Australia, a Work & Traveler's Experience


An epic new years eve and day in Sydney, camping in Yamba with eight-feet tall kangaroos and Bluesfest in Byron Bay, the Blue Mountains, Australia Day, a move into a new pad, and road-tripping through Tasmania make for an excellent few months in the land down under.

March 18, 2010


Hello all!

Tasmania was absolutely amazing. Two of my good friends (and Tassie traveling buddies) and I had each been forewarned about a few of the off-beat qualities Tasmania is known for, such as the semi-crazed wildlife, “disconnected” people, general rough-edgedness, etc. and although I admit most of the descriptions turned our to be true, they only added to the experience and made the trip even more spectacularly memorable.

Our Travel Map: Hobart, to Port Arthur and the Tasmanian Peninsula, to Wineglass and Coles Bay in Freycinet National Park, to Bicheno and St. Helens and the stretch of Bay of Fires beaches, to Cradle Mountain, back up to Launceston- with several beach and other beautiful middle-of-no-where pit spots along the way. A few highlights in my Tasmania scrapbook look something like this:

  1. Taking a ghost tour in Port Arthur, known as the most haunted spot in all of Australia, and camping out that evening only to keep each other up all night questioning shadows, creeping wildlife, and your standard bump in the night.
  2. Hiking to Wine Glass Bay, digging my feet into the sand feeling for shells for my little siblings back at home whom I promised a small piece of Tasmania while watching the rain roll in.
  3. Taking in a fifteen-mile stretch of empty bleach white beach with water such an unreal glowing turquoise it took my breath away.
  4. Standing on one of the closest points in the world to Antarctica and wondering if (or when :) ) I’ll make it there. (Did you know there are actually people who will pay thousands of dollars to fly to Antarctica---12 hour flight from Aus--- only to circle over it for four hours and return home without ever actually landing… what happens if you have an aisle seat?... hah, a bit ridiculous I say.)
  5.  Driving cliff side to the top of Cradle Mountain through flourishing forestry next to gorgeous canyons, making stops along the way such as exquisite lookouts and “enchanted” walks, and the Tasmanian Devil preservation facility, etc. (Tassie Devils are one of the only animals in the world who’ve ever been given a fairly exact date of extinction due to disease and drastic drops in successful reproduction. If you make it over to Tassie, be sure to stop by the facility. All payments made are donations to the devil’s preservation.)
  6. And most random of all…. waking up next to the beach at camp at 5 a.m. with a report of a tsunami heading our way and driving as much inland and reception-bound as we could for two hours before receiving any real news about the earthquake in Chile and its effects. Although Tasmania’s effects ended up being minimal, it was unnerving realizing how disconnected we actually were from the rest of the world in most areas in Tas.
But even thought I still have Tassie and vacation on the brain, I’m back to my reality now, and it’s actually been a pretty huge week in our lively household. One of our beloved flat mates, our token male of the house, has moved on northward, and a girlfriend from The States has moved in and taken over his spot. Aside from the sadness of seeing a very good friend go and the excitement of having another join in the madness, the coming and going of good friends is definitely a reminder that eventually my time here and in this experience will be up… sooner or later, it’ll be everyone’s time to move on. It takes any kind of feelings of permanency out of the picture, really. I still haven’t decided which I prefer- the excitement of knowing that my experiences here have really just begun/not knowing what’s coming next, or the comfort of being surrounded by good people who provide me with a sort of blanket of stability (and pure entertainment I should add). It’s also an unimaginably tough feeling wondering when you’ll again see those incredible friends who are leaving on new adventures, but at the same time it’s really cool knowing you’ll make it happen, wherever in the world it will be. It’s very bitter sweet.

But for now, our pretty routine weekly lives of beach, hitting the city, small travels and work go on. Personally, it’s a pretty big next few weeks for me as I work and save for my camping trip in Yamba, Blues Festival weekend in Byron Bay and New Zealand trip all coming up before mid-April. It’s all coming so fast! I honestly have no idea where the time went, and I can’t believe it’s already mid-March! Whoa.

So after all my rambling, I’ll end with what I’ve learned these past two few weeks: People and experiences will most often come and eventually go, but that should never stop you from giving your full self in order to gain as much from each as possible. After all is said and done, I can’t imagine a more fulfilling feeling than knowing I’ve grown from so many diverse tastes of life. And so, it continues! Have an excellent weekend, and always,

Live fully,
Jennifer C Campbell


February 16, 2010


Good day all you Cultural Embracers!

I hope February has treated you well so far. Normally, my blogs hold some sort of recently stumbled upon life lesson, travel advice or semi-meaningful message, but this particular blog is a product of my excitement over my upcoming trips and recent activities and thus probably will not be quite as evocative : ). Everything has been superb in the land down under- February is going to be an epic month.

I had a successful move two weeks ago into an apartment with four of my friends just ten minutes from my old place on Coogee beach. And although I definitely do miss my twenty something building mates and waking up and walking straight onto the sand, I could not be happier with the new flat. Aside from the perk of living with four of my good friends, my rent is much cheaper ($115 per week from $180 pw), my name is not on the six month lease which means as long as I find a replacement I can move on string free, and I am in a beautiful area with easy access to the rest of the city as well as excellent running and bike paths through some of the most beautiful parks in Sydney. I would almost feel like I have moved out of backpacker territory and into permanent residency if it was not for our makeshift furniture- but blow up air mattresses, hand-me-down couch and table given by a random neighbor which we have surrounded with recovered mismatched table chairs, and the lack of normal kitchen appliances together emit quite the squatting vibe. Our place is a little random, but it is pretty perfect and my own person symbol of independence. For the first time in my life every dime of my rent, along with my living expenses and travel savings, etc., is coming out of my own paychecked pocket. It's a superb feeling.

Another splendid February event is my trip to Tasmania coming up in a little over a week. Two friends and I are flying over for about a week to camp on one of the top ten rated beaches in the world, Wine Glass Bay, and hit other famous spots like St. Helens, Bay of Fires and Cradle Mountain. Should be an amazing excursion, and an interesting one as we are renting a car and I am apparently the volunteered driver (probably not the best decision, hmm). But this trip is pretty monumental for me particularly. When I was five or six I asked Santa for a globe (do not judge me), and that Christmas morning as I was spinning it under my finger, playing "where I am going to live when I grow up" (you know what I'm talking about), I discovered Tasmania. It was so mysterious to me and I can remember wondering who in the world got to visit such a far away place. So, I suppose I am fulfilling a childhood ambition- I am getting to explore a destination I never thought I would have the opportunity to visit. Really cool.

With Tasmania set on the horizon and being in a better financial situation where I can start to save a bit more, I am definitely planning my next adventures more aggressively. A few weeks ago I booked my New Zealand travels and am currently drooling over all of the Kiwi awesomeness. Glacier hikes, sky diving over crystal clear waters surrounded by lush mountain ranges, white water rafting, trekking to the first point on the globe to see the sun per day- I do not think I have ever loved researching as much as I have lately in planning all of my travels. So with NZ planned for April (in order to miss the extreme cold that hits shortly after then and not sacrifice pure enjoyment in water activities) I am pushing my trip up the Aus east coast (to Cairns, the Whitsunday and Magnetic Islands which I declared were coming up in February and March on Cultural Embraces work and travel Australia Facebook group wall http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=416345310612&ref=ts) back to May. Fortunately for me, even though May is the beginningish of winter for Aus, the northern east coast essentially only encounters two seasons: rainy season (which is slightly rainy, scorching hot with lots of jellyfish) and not rainy season (which usually brings temperatures around 78 degrees F and no jellyfish), perfect! And because I will be spending a bit more time working before heading up the coast after New Zealand, I have more time to plan and save for it.

Life is good, and between making small beach and mountain escapes up and down the coastline with friends a weekly habit, cheaper rent, and remembering I am swapping posh evenings out for saving for a day of Whitsunday sailing, bungee jumping in New Zealand or kayak rentals in Tasmania, keeping a nice balance between play and traveling, and work and saving (key word) is easier than ever. All smiles in the world of an Australian work and traveler. And I can't wait to share my Tasmania adventures with you!

Please feel free to email me at Jcampbell@culturalembrace.com if you have any questions or want specifics on the adventures of a Work and Traveler in Australia.

Live fully,
Jennifer C Campbell


January 13, 2010


Happy January Fellow Adventure Seekers!

I hope your holidays were spectacular! I have received so many questions via email and Facebook messages asking what it was like abroad over the holidays, spending New Years in Sydney, what my plan is now that the holidays are past, even questions about my New Years Resolutions having been abroad for the last three months. So I will start from the top!

My holidays were wonderful but being away from family on Christmas was definitely tough. Most of the people around me were bummed at one point or another on the big day, running in and out of our Christmas Day barbeque bash to Skype with family and answer their phones, but we did have an excellent out-of-the-ordinary celebration. We rang in the holiday with a swim in the sea, grilling burgers and, yes, shrimp on the barbie just to stereotype the day, exchanging gifts, and watching naked Santas (neighbors) run amuck down the street to quote-un-quote lighten spirits. Although we were missing our families, I am pleased to report all in all it was a joyous occasion.

But even aside from random shenanigans, great company from all over the world, Santa hats and Aussie lager on the beach, the one thing that definitely helped all of us get through Christmas time was the promise of an absolutely first-class New Years- the reason there are an extra million people in Sydney over the holiday season. Sydney has been rated one of the worlds top cities to ring in the New Year- And I will stand for it!

Friends and I spent the hot New Years Eve morning through afternoon just past Rushcutters Bay, across the water from the Sydney Harbor Bridge, with about a thousand other tent-poppers cheersing chilled beers and ice cream cones. (It felt a little like Fourth of July in The States.) Most of our group stayed to see the midnight harbor fireworks, which I have since caught on video and it is definitely worth Googleing, while a few of us went on to hit Shore Thing at Bondi Beach. Shore Thing is a yearly massive New Years Eve party featuring top DJs and guest artists from around the world, incredible light shows, count down and fireworks, and thousands of people going mad with glow sticks having the time of their life. Everything, especially the music was top-notch. Breaks in killer mixes were filled with short light shows choreographed to instrumentals by classic artists like Pink Floyd (including at the strike at midnight during the fireworks- Floyds Time- amazing). The glimpses of light twirlers on the beach also made for an absolutely eyegasmic event. (Eyegasmic is a word, I promise, look it up.)

We followed the epic New Years Eve with the noon to night Space Ibiza show in Moore Park, which featured world-renown artists from Ibiza, Spain and guests. The performances and scene was everything Space promised. And seeing the sun fall behind the park lined with giant butterfly-people on stilts, feather dancers and hundreds of body painted rave-goers dancing to music unveiled by artists for the first time was a truly surreal ending to the holidays. Positively one for the books.

Since the holidays have past, I have been working a few days a week, getting wear out of my new snorkel and fins, and traveling bit- I FINALLY made it to the Blue Mountains, about two hours west of Sydney. I had been holding out to make the trip in hopes of getting to camp, but trying to match weekends with mates was a tough task so we took a day trip instead. The mountains were breathtaking with plunging ranges and lush vegetation, rain forest hikes, troops of wild kangaroos, and at least fifteen waterfalls to dance around in. I spent most of the day behind the group with my camera, capturing everything I could and playing catch up when realizing I had not heard another voice around for a bit too long. The best part of the trip happened two hours into our first hike- at about one thousand meters up walking along an edge path, which ran next to a huge canyon of rainforest below, when a thunderstorm and light showers rolled in. It was probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed. The thunder echoed through the canyon as the dark clouds came over the mountains and the rushing water over the falls became heavy. I have never had a more magnificent moment just watching and listening. We were only caught in the rain for twenty minutes or so before the sky cleared again, but the flash weather left the air fresher than I have ever breathed, and the waterfalls and forests surrounding and below extraordinarily more beautiful than I can describe. I am definitely currently rallying future camping partners. Anyone in?

Now, for a fast change of feeling, I will admit last week after all of these superb festivities had past I had a pretty hard hit when I realized I had accomplished what I wanted in Sydney and I did not have a plan in action per say for my next move. But I figured, like I still figure today, feeling stagnant in such a beautiful country and time in my life is not an option. So I have been forming a sort-of plan (since backpacking is regularly a fine line between a plan and a few ideas that might sort themselves out) and am excited for what is coming next, semi-planned and not.

I have decided to stay put in Sydney, moving into another flat with friends just ten minutes inland from my current place, for another month or so after this lease is up to work and save money for my trips to Tasmania, New Zealand, and up the east coast. (Friends and I finally booked our trip to Tasmania and are throwing around the idea of camping in Wine Glass Bay. Google Images it. The scenery is dreamlike.) After that I would like to say I am moving to the Southern Gold Coast where I will land and work a bit before making a further ascent, or hit New Zealand first before it gets really cold there, but like I have said before, plans can change rapidly depending on whims, funding, job opportunities, etc. So instead of stressing about making certain timing happen, I will guide what is to come next when it gets here.

Really, the beauty of my current situation abroad is that I AM able to stay just to the right of making a set-in-stone travel timeframe and can focus on one month or so at a time. (One-month apartment leases are fairly easy to come by, I have not locked myself into a six month job contract, and I still have nine months left on my visa = flexibility.) Also helping me ease my way into feeling more relaxed about not knowing exactly where I might be in two months is the fact I have Cultural Embraces partner-company to lend a hand with certain logistics once I do make the decision. No matter where I want to move in Australia the partner company can assist me in finding a job and living arrangements. The partner company can even assist me in setting up job training for particular fields in advance, and can offer resume guidance as well. (Australia uses a much different resume model than what America typically uses, so that help is very valuable.) I also have the privilege of resting easy knowing I have Cultural Embrace, a company run by experienced travelers behind me wherever I am in Australia. So, even though I might be a tiny bit directionally challenged when it comes to where my next few months are going, I am confident I will be gaining even more excellent experiences than I have in the last few.

And finally yes, the last few months here has definitely shaped my first ever absolutely to be followed New Years resolution (or recent development turned commitment-to-self) which I will get to. It is hard to believe I have been in Australia nearly three months, but it is even harder for me to believe what all I have been privileged to get into since arriving. Living part-time in Gerroa my first month in Oz working for Surf Camp, spending my days surfing and ending them paddling down river to get back home to camp with a friend on high tide evenings. Immersing myself in the different cultures Sydney has to offer hitting scenes across the board. And most recently spending days snorkeling and beaching it in my own neighborhood with the amazing people from all over the world I can for certain say will be friends for life. I have been very lucky and am so thankful for every opportunity I have had. So, with that said, my three-part New Years resolution: Taking in my experiences, appreciating each of their significances and details and recognizing the opportunities they present. I have learned and grown from each of my experiences listed above, and know I am where I am presently in my life having had each one of them.

So, for those of you who were wondering if leaving right before a holiday season is bad choice -for fear you might turn around and fly right back home- keep in mind the reason you are traveling abroad in the first place: to gain and grow from new experiences. Consider yourself lucky to have the opportunity to be out-of-the box whenever you can, and take every detail in. After all, it is the details that make the great stories so great.

Thank you so much for reading my blog! I appreciate all of you so much and I look forward to hearing from you!

Please feel free to email me at Jcampbell@culturalembrace.com if you have any questions or want specifics on the adventures of a Work and Traveler in Australia.

Live fully,
Jennifer C Campbell

No comments: