Friday, May 21, 2010

"China, Day 1" - by Chris Schave, CE Adviser in China

Today has been interesting. Towards the end of my flight earlier, something starting leaking on me above my seat. It was water, but I have no idea where it was coming from. Overall the service on the flight sucked. The same guy that fell asleep watched as I was getting water on me.
When I got to the airport, I got off the plane wearing a thermal and my backpack. I guess I was also wearing pants and what not. It was around 85 degrees and more humid than I have ever experienced in my life. From the plane we hopped on a sardine style bus with no AC. Apparently, AC has yet to hit China. Upon arriving at the terminal I got into a line and started walking towards a health inspection station. Right before I got to the station my new buddies that sat next to me yelled back that I should take off my flannel. It was too late. I set off an alarm. I guess my body temperature was too high. In other words, I’m too hot for China! I was taken to a small quarantine room with some other Chinese passengers. The inspector handed me a thermometer, and like any other good American, I put it in my mouth. At that instance, I tasted strong rubbing alcohol, and everyone began to laugh at me. The man explained that it was to go under my armpit. I complied and began pondering how many sweaty, stinky armpits that thermometer had been in. I passed the test and was released.
Eventually I made my way to a new security checkpoint. When I approached I noticed two Chinese girls waiting to check me through. I watched them send other folks through security and figured out the routine. When I approached I noticed one of the girls get out the wand and she had me lift my arms and grabbed a handful of my butt. Nice!
Upon arrival in Guilin, an Irish fella named Huey picked me up from the airport. We hopped on a bus and headed into the city. Let’s just say that I am lucky I made it off that bus alive. I’ve heard that Indians are the worst drivers in the world, but the Chinese can’t be that far behind. In the city you will hear a constant sound of horns. Crossing the road is taking a chance with your life every time… I love it!
When we got to the Hostel we met up with 2 English girls and a Dutch guy. We walked down the alley from the hostel and got lunch. It was a basic noodle bowl, but it was awesome. It had a little bit of mystery meat (chicken I think), and I put a bunch of peppers and pickled green beans on it.
After lunch we walked around for a few hours. We went to some sort of underground shopping center that was pretty crazy. It was like a maze of shops. I picked up some new underwear since I left most of mine in my parents dryer on accident. The girls didn’t go on this adventure, but we met back up with them later for a couple of pints then went to get dinner.
Dinner was amazing. We all ordered individually, but shared. I got the BBQ Goose, which was my favorite, but it was all good. After dinner Huey and I headed back to the hostel and after 3 days of stinkiness, I took a shower. We were all going to go out, but after I laid down for a couple minutes and didn’t want to get up.
All night there were sounds of horns and hustle and bustle. I awoke to a constant stream of rain coming from the overcast sky. Not sure what today has in-store, but it’s going to involve awesome food and rain. Until next time…

Chris- Adviser Abroad China

4 comments:

Gaylene Schave said...

Your wrtings are getting so good! I could visualize you in China with the sounds. Awesome Chris! I was laughing about the thermometer...and being too hot for China! The only thing you didn't mention was the smells...can't wait to hear more. Try some embryo eggs, chicken feet, deep fried bats....let us know how all that is!

Love you and be safe!

leona said...

haha sounds great!! oh the thermometer... and et a dutch guy ;) great im sure...take care!

Lauren said...

Lovely pictures Chris. I really enjoy the short DOF you're taking advantage of. Keep it up and I hope to see more pictures soon! Oh - and where are you in this mix? I'm sure everyone who's following your blog misses your face. :]

Eric said...

You havent made it to visit us in Florida yet,but come in August and Im sure we can beat the humidity,luckily we have discovered A/C (might of even been invented here).Im jealous enough without all the food talk,Tess and I are living vicariuosly through you,Enjoy.