Saturday, May 15, 2010

Flashback - 4/2/10 - Hotel Paradise in Nairobi - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa


It is 12am and we just got to the hotel in Nairobi. The name of the hotel is "Citywall Hotel". It should be called "Hole in the Wall Hotel".
It looks like one of those motels you see in a cheesy action film where the escaped prison mate shacks up to hide from the police. Maybe it is not that bad. "Citywall Hotel" has four floors with all the rooms inside the building, mosquito nets, security guards and a reception desk. They only take cash - schillings. It costs 5500 schilling ($73) for two rooms including breakfast. I can hear people talking on the street, and even though I have no idea what they are saying, I am certain they are buying drugs and selling their bodies.

I took a shit in a hole in the ground, which surprisingly wasn't that bad. The hard part is aiming your pee so it doesn't splash on your feet.

God - I ask you to help me adapt to these situations. I came here to experience the Kenyan life and culture. I also pray you keep me healthy and diarrhea free.

Have you ever stayed somewhere that the person in the next room could have been featured on "Americas Most Wanted"?

No comments: