Thursday, May 27, 2010

Flashback - 4/09/2010 - Field Work - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa


I remember when I first got the information about the different volunteer duties we could choose from : Laundry Assistant, Kitchen Assitant, HIV/AIDS Hospital volunteer, Gardening Assistant, Farm and Animal Care Assistant, Clean up after kids assistant (that is not the real name, but that is pretty much all you do), Teaching Assistant, and FIELD WORK.
As the field worker assistant, you go around the nearby villages to check in on the sponsors kids, how exciting! At least it is to me.

Today was my first day in Field Work with Erick. We left about 8:30am and came back around 1:30pm. Not too bad of a work day, huh? Well we walked the entire time, probably about six miles. Six miles is not really that far to walk, but it is in a village with no paved roads, sidewalks, water stations, or place to stop and have lunch. I realized taking your work to lunch is not common like in America. First of all, there are no left-overs. People eat as much as they can when they have it. Even if they did have left - overs it would go to livestock, not in a glade tupperware containter and put in the refrigerator over night.

Not only did I enjoy getting to see how the villagers live and what kind of lifestyle, I was able to ask Erick questions about his life, dreams and other Kenyan cultural stuff.

Tracy: "What is your dream?"
Erick: "To run an orphanage in Nairobi that not only serves the kids, but also the community. The center would have HIV/AIDS counseling and education, Doctor on staff, job resource center, basically anything to help those in need."

Tracy: "What is your favorite food?"
Erick: "Um, I am not sure. I guess Ugali (yuck!) and Chipati (yum!). What is your favorite food, Tracy?"

Tracy: "I would have to say cheeseburgers and sushi. Have you ever had either one?"
Erick: "No. I think I know what a hamburger is, but what is sushi?"

Tracy: "How does it work with the kids who are sponsored? How do you know who needs one?"
Erick: "It is $25 to sponsor a child. That money will go to whatever it is they need. Usually it is school clothes, school supplies, matress, food, shoes, and etc. The people in the community tell me if another child is in need. We currently have 59kids sponsored, but have another 20 kids on the list waiting."

Tracy: "Why aren't the kids living at the orphanage if they are so needy?"
Erick: "About 90% of the sponsor kids are living with a grandparent, or other relative. So they are not considered orphans. Until of course the grandparent dies, and people live pretty long here. My grandmother lived to 120 years old."

Tracy: "Is it okay if I look at a man and smile?"
Erick: "That's a funny question. Why do you ask?"
Tracy: "Because I have tried to make eye contact with people, both men and women, and they all seem to look away."
Erick: "That is probably because you are a mzungo(white person). Some people here have never seen a mzungo. Have you noticed all the kids running behind us on the road? They have been yelling 'mzungo!mzungo!mzungo!How are you?' You see all babies are born white, even African babies. So they think you are a big baby, and want to touch the hand of a big white baby."

Tracy: "Why are there tons of calendars hanging on the walls of the houses?"
Erick: "That is how they decorate. How do you decorate at home?"
Tracy: "Well we usually paint the walls different colors, hang pictures of family, or art work up."

Tracy: "Is is rude for me to decline tea or bread when they offer it to me? It seems every home we have been to they offer tea, and I can't drink that much tea or I will have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes."
Erick: "It isn't rude. They probably won't stop asking, so it is easier to just tell them you only want a little."

** the picture is of me and local villagers. the older woman admired the bandana I was wearing, so I gave it to her.

GOD CREATED US TO SERVE. NO EXCUSES. TAKE ACTION.

No comments: