Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Flashback - 4/7/2010 - Human Sexuality, AIDS and Relationships - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa

Today Priscilla, the teacher at the orphanage, and I went to the HIV/AIDS Hospital that the Orphanage has partnered with. When we arrived at the hospital, there were about 50 HIV positive individuals waiting to get counseling. It was a very surreal experience. As I walked by them I tried to smile, but I knew they knew I knew they had AIDS and it was really uncomfortable.

On the way back to the orphanage Priscilla and I talked about sex education in Kenya. Kenya is just now implementing sex education and awareness in the community. Unfortunately, they only focus on educating the women, not men. I guess the perception is that a woman in responsible for saying "no". Priscilla said men will target very poor children and women and offer gifts or money for sex. Because the women are so poor, they take the money to buy food, clothes, water or pay for school tuition. The women trade sex for things they have a right to have. Then once the man gets what he wants, he leaves the woman with an STD, or a baby on the way.

Because I am such a curious person, I couldn't resist asking if there was any education about self pleasure. I told her in America we have started to openly discuss masturbation so girls will learn to respect their bodies and not feel the pressure to have pre-marital sex.

Priscilla didn't really respond. Maybe I crossed a line, but I wanted to know. If I don't ask I will only make assumptions.

Remember: GOD CREATED US TO SERVE. NO EXCUSES ALLOWED. GET INVOLVED TODAY.

No comments: