Monday, May 17, 2010

Flashback - 4/4/2010 - Am I really cut out for this? - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa


Right now I am not sure I can stay for the whole trip. There is a pig pen right outside my dorm room. The pigs oink so loud it feels like they are in the room with me. Not to mention the smell - gross!

Oh, and the bathrooms. I officially retract my statement about the bathroom at the hotel. It was paradise compared to here. Last night I had to go to the bathroom twice and going to the bathroom here is not like going at home. At home I stumble into the bathroom, do my thing and stumble back to bed. It takes effort and awareness here. I have to get out of bed, grab my flashlight, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer. Then I put on my jacket, and rain boots. I don't put on the rain boots b/c of the rain. I put them on so the pee doesn't splash on my feet.


I foolishly thought I had realistic expectations about the orphanage. I keep telling myself it is not that bad, and I will adjust. I sure hope so!

I do appreciate the orphanage's attempt to make the toilet/shower more appealing. They named it "The Hilton". I am quite certain Paris Hilton wouldn't set foot in this "Hilton".

No comments: