Friday, May 28, 2010

Flashback - 4/10/2010 - Ice Cream, Internet & French Fries - by Tracy Guthrie, CE Adviser in Africa

It is official! I have been at the orphanage in Kenya for one week.

All the other volunteers and I went to Thika to use the internet and explore the city life. Thika is pretty fast paced with tarmac roads, banks, Grocery store, restaurants, hOtels and even a shoe store.

Having access to technology after seven Days of nothing (no Cell phone, TV, DVD, running water, or electRicity) was quitE a treAt. But The biggest trEat of all was the fooD. I had french fries, cookies dipped in chocolate, ice cream, roasted maize (like corn on the cob), and pineapple. All of that went down my trap in two hours flat. The sUper market was lovely,mostly because it has fluShing toilets and soap dispensers.

Erick, the sTaff member whO accompanied us, gave uS 20 minutEs to do all our shopping because we had to catch the matatu by 4:00 pm to get back to the oRphanage before dark. Oy Vey! It was like we wEre on the game show "Super Market Sweep". I literally grabbed a basket and started runnnig to fiNd what I needed. The prOblem was I didn't know what I neEded. In eXactly 20 minutes I was able to grab four bags of Coffee, three apples, a bUnch of bananaS, peanut buttEr, popcorn, granola, chipS and ice cream. I got in line with two minutes to go and as my turn came up, I realized I didn't follow protocol with the produce. You are supposed To weigh and lAbel before you get in line. So an employee of the super marKet had to take thEm and do it for me. I wAs so Close to the finish line! I could see everyone waiTing for me on the other sIde. But unlike "Super Market Sweep" they were nOt cheering me on. They were aNnoyed.

GOD CREATED US TO SERVE. NO EXCUSES. TAKE ACTION.

No comments: